In this professional program on yoga therapeutics, we aim to bring you the most effective aspects of traditional Yoga and Ayurveda combined with modern medicine. Specific guidelines for different conditions and general treatment principles will be detailed, empowering you to safely and effectively address disabilities and ill-health through yoga.
The program is a part of the advanced 300 hour Svastha Yoga: Therapeutic Essentials Program registered with the Yoga Alliance and delivered in 7 intensive modules (5 days for each module). The Svastha Yoga Therapy Program will be registered with the International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT) by 2017.
Each module can be attended independently. This 5-day international program is delivered in 12+ locations across the world and offers you a pathway to continue to learn skills for other body systems and your mind as well. Certificates will be issued for each module.
Musculoskeletal System / Body
1: Low Back, Pelvis & Lower Limb
2: Cervical & Thoracic Spine, Upper Limb
Internal Medicine & Breath
3: Physiology and Sequencing of the Breath, Respiratory and Cardiovascular Disorders
4: Neurological/Digestive/Immune systems, Pranayama, Yoga for Seniors
Yoga Psychology & Psychiatry / Mind
5: Depression, Addictions
6: Stress, Anxiety
7: Holistic Health
Module 3: Internal Medicine & Breath: Anatomy, Physiology, and Sequencing of the Breath,
Respiratory and Cardiovascular Disorders
Topics covered will include:
1. Experience and understand the functional anatomy and pathology of different breathing patterns.
2. Analyze and modify breathing patterns in different asana to address the needs of the student.
3. Functional approach to the breath using conscious modulation, gravity, body position, muscle action, relaxation etc.
4. Progressively sequencing the breath for students in steps from abdominal breathing to chest breathing, deep
breathing, long breathing, and the bandhas.
5. Using sound and chanting to work on the breath therapeutically.
6. Disorder based considerations for specific conditions. For example, in respiratory and cardiovascular systems:
b. COPD and other breathing difficulties
c. Holistic approach to prevention and therapy of heart disease
d. High and low blood pressure
e. Heart failure
7. Safety considerations in yoga sessions for clients with respiratory and cardiovascular issues, breathing difficulty and respiratory diseases.
8. Orientation on relevant disease-related ayurvedic guidelines concerning lifestyle, diet, and useful herbs.
9. Application of relevant traditional yoga concepts e.g. Brmhana, Langhana
Date: November 17 – 21, 2017
Time: 8am – 4pm
Venue: The Yoga Room 4/F Studio
Price: $6500 early bird price (before October 1, 2017); $7200 regular price
About Dr. Ganesh Mohan
Dr. Ganesh Mohan is a physician trained in both conventional medicine and ayurveda. Son of A.G. Mohan and Indra Mohan, he started practicing yoga as a child, in the tradition of Krishnamacharya. He is well-versed in traditional yoga studies. His work in therapeutic yoga centers around employing the most relevant methods from ancient and modern healthcare. He is the co-author of the Mohans’ book Yoga Therapy (Shambhala Publications, 2004) and Krishnamacharya: His Life and Teachings (Shambhala Publications, 2010). He is an advisor to the IAYT in the USA and the AAYT in Australia.